Thursday, October 2, 2008

Caddyshack

Rating: 7
Genre: Comedy

Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray, Ted Knight, and a mechanical gopher star in this 1980 comedy about life and golf at a country club. To me, Chevy Chase elevates this movie to classic status. If you just watch his eyebrow movements alone you will bust up laughing.

Rodney Dangerfield (Al Cvervik) is a rich doctor who does not come from a long line of wealth like Ted Knight’s character (Judge Smails) does. Their contrast in taste and etiquette are a great sub-plot to the movie.

Bill Murray plays Carl, the groundskeeper, who seems like he spent far too much of his time in Vietnam in the poppy fields and subsequently has less of an IQ than a gopher. He does have some great one-liners though and his 'me vs. vermin' mentality hits close to home for me since I spent countless hours trying to rid our yard in Oregon City of gophers.

This movie also has a good soundtrack, including the only good Journey song ever made, Any Way You Want It, Kenny Loggins’ I’m Allright, and a great synthesized horn tune by Hilly Michaels called Something On Your Mind (plays when Rodney Dangerfield is wreaking havoc at the Yacht Club).

Brian Doyle-Murray plays the part of Lou Loomis, head caddy. You may know him as Noah Vanderhoff (owner of Noah’s Arcade) from Wayne’s World. Turns out that he and Harold Ramis co-wrote Caddyshack.

One of the best gags in film history is the Baby Ruth floating in the pool. If you like physical, cornball comedy, this movie ranks among the best.

Here are some great quotes from Caddyshack:

  • "Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity."
  • " … I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself…. Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch."
  • "This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it."
  • "In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'."
  • "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"
  • "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish."
  • "I was born to love you / I was born to lick your face / I was born to rub you / but you were born to rub me first /... What do you say we take this out on the patio?"
  • "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."
  • "Whoa, did somebody step on a duck?"
  • "You'll get nothing, and like it."
  • "My uncle says you've got a screw loose." "Your uncle molests collies."
  • "My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I've gotta get inside this guy's pelt and crawl around for a few days."

No comments: